April is Child Abuse Prevention Month, and we’re here for it.
Why is Child & Family Resources invested in highlighting this Child Abuse Prevention Month? Some statistics:
Child Abuse in Arizona (6 month period)1
- Child Abuse Hotline received 21,191 calls that met the statutory criteria for a DCS report.
- Majority of children in out-of-home care are from ages 1 to 5 years (5,078 or 40.5%)
- Ethnicity majority of children in out-of-home care are Hispanic (28.2%) & Caucasian (27.2%)
- African American children represent 5.0% of population yet 14.8% are in out-of-home care.
- Children with an adoption case plan spend on average 30.6 months in out-of-home care.
- 30% of children leaving foster care spent over 12 months in care.
- Average number of placements was 2.6.
1Arizona Department of Child Safety, “Child Welfare Reporting Requirements Semi-Annual Report for the Period of January 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020”; 2020 Kids Count Data Center.